Score: Southern Virginia 3 | Roanoke 0 | 18-25, 22-25, 23-25
Records: Roanoke 6-9 | Southern Virginia 9-4
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Southern Virginia defeated Roanoke 3-0 in Monday night's non-conference match-up.
How it Happened:
- With RC trailing 8-5 in set one, Southern Virginia won four straight points sparked by a pair of kills from Hailey Lohnes to extend the lead to 11-5.
- The Knights used another 4-0 run, beginning at the 18-11 mark, to take the set and a 1-0 advantage in the match.
- In a back-and-forth set two that saw 11 ties, Roanoke took a 19-18 lead with back-to-back kills from Alex Wolfe, followed by a kill from Kylah Blackmore. SVU responded three points later with a 4-0 run capped by a kill from Allison Tiegs to take the set.
- With the score 19-13 in favor of SVU in set three, Roanoke won the next five points highlighted by three kills from Sydney Daniel and two from Blackmore to close the gap 19-17. A kill from Meagan Smith followed by a Knight error evened the set at 23-23 but the Knights claimed the last two points of the set to take the match.
- Blackmore led the Maroons with 11 kills while Olivia Earls and Christen Zammit tallied 13 digs apiece.
- Penny Gwynn had a game-high 18 kills and LaRee Crockett and Mykynli Knight each recorded 22 digs for SVU.
Up Next: Roanoke travels to Randolph-Macon for a 7 p.m. game on Wednesday, Sept. 27 in Ashland, Va.