Score: Roanoke 13 | Virginia Wesleyan 11
Records: Roanoke 8-6, 3-4 ODAC | Virginia Wesleyan 8-5, 1-5 ODAC
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke scored a pair of goals in the final two minutes to take a 13-11 win over Virginia Wesleyan on Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened:
- Ellie Armstrong broke open the scoring with a goal off a free position shot to take an early 1-0 lead just one minute into the contest.
- With the score tied 1-1, Jenn Schwechheimer scored back-to-back goals at the 22 and 17 minute mark to make it 3-1.
- Virginia Wesleyan used a 6-1 run over the next 13 minutes, capped by a goal from Ashley Campos to give the Marlins a 7-4 edge
- Coming out of the intermission, Maggie Lewis and Schwechheimer each knotted a goal to tie the game at 7-7 with 26 minutes left in regulation
- The Maroons scored three unanswered goals kicked off by Maggie Lewis at 15:17 to take the lead 11-9.
- With the score tied 11-11 with 2:01 remaining, Hannah Taylor scored what proved to be the game-winner, off a pass from Armstrong on a man-up situation.
- Lewis tacked on the final goal in the final ten seconds to secure the win.
- Lewis and Schwechheimer led the way with five and four goals, respectively. Carly Schoudel made ten saves in goal for the Maroons.
- For the Marlins, Campos had four goals and Jordan Moilanen made 11 saves in goal.
Up Next: Roanoke closes the regular season on Saturday, April 28 against Washington and Lee in a 12 p.m. match-up in Lexington.