Score: No. 17 Mary Washington 12, Roanoke 4
Records: Roanoke 0-5 | Mary Washington 5-2
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: No. 17 Mary Washington used nine first-half goals to defeat Roanoke 12-4 Saturday afternoon in Salem.
How it Happened
- With UMW up 1-0, Roanoke's Courtney McCartin scored to even the game at 1-1 with 19:22 to go in the first-half.
- Kate Smucker scored less than two minutes later and sparked what would prove to be a five goal run for the Eagles.
- Hannah Taylor pulled RC to within 6-2 with a goal at the 4:26 mark.
- Smucker scored less than a minute later which was the first of three unanswered goals to end the half for Mary Washington as it took a 9-2 lead into the break.
- Mckenna Polak scored on an assist from McCartin eight minutes into the second-half to make it a 9-3 game, but that would be as close as RC would get as UMW scored three times to push its lead to 12-3.
- Mary Washington held a 28-17 edge in shots, while each team had 20 groundballs. Mackenzie Connolly and Julia Galanto each had three GBs for RC.
- Victoria Smith and Emma Blair split time in net for RC making six and three saves, respectively.
Up Next: Roanoke's game with St. Mary's of Maryland has been switched to a 4:00 p.m. start on Monday.