Score: Piedmont 76, Roanoke 64
Records: Roanoke 0-2, Piedmont 1-0
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Piedmont scored a 76-64 win over Roanoke in the first game of the 2017 Jean Beamer Classic at the Cregger Center in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke got a team-high 17 points from Molly Hassell. Kristina Harrell had nine points, while Laura McManimen and Eleri Hayden each had eight points in the loss. Allison Livengood grabbed a team best seven rebounds.
- Piedmont was led by a game-high 19 points from Carlie Shields. Jatasia Bailey added 12 points off the bench, while Bridgette Kelly and Dakota Sullens each had nine points. Brittany Walker grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds to help Piedmont to a 42-33 edge on the glass.
- The first quarter was tightly contested as neither team was able to open up more than a three point lead. A McManimen jumper with 25 seconds left made it 16-15 Piedmont.
- The Lions opened the second quarter with a 14-5 run with a Bailey three-pointer making it a 31-20 game with five minutes left in the half.
- The Maroons cut their deficit to 36-27 at the break only to see Piedmont score eight of the first 11 points of the third quarter to take a 44-31 lead. The Maroons rallied going on an 10-0 run, making it a 44-41 game on a three-pointer by Hassel with 4:45 to play in the quarter.
- The Lions would close the quarter with a 9-1 run to take a 53-43 advantage.
- In the fourth, RC rallied cutting the Piedmont lead to four at 59-55 on another three by Hassell with 4:32 to go in the game. That would be as close as the Maroons would get as Piedmont scored the next seven points to put the game away.
- The Maroons shot 43.9% for the game, making 25-of-57 shots from the field. The Lions knocked down 24-of-54 attempts to finish at a 44.4% clip.
Up Next: Roanoke will take Birmingham Southern at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday in the final day of the Jean Beamer Tip-Off Classic.