Score: Roanoke 8, Greensboro 2
Records: Roanoke 10-3, Greensboro 9-11
The Lead: Roanoke opened the doubleheader by topping The Pride 8-2.
How it Happened
- Teresa Wagner went six innings, allowing just one single in the third inning. Wagner struck out four in improving her record to 4-0 on the season.
- With the score 2-1 Greensboro in the third inning, Roanoke capitalized on three GC errors to score four runs and move ahead 5-2.
- In the fourth inning, Erin Forbes led off the inning with a double then scored when Katie Smith followed with a home run to put RC out in front 7-2.
- The Maroons tacked on an additional in the fifth when Becca Wenger led off the inning with a solo homerun.
Score: Greensboro 5, Roanoke 4
Records: Roanoke 10-4, Greensboro 10-11
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Greensboro earned a split of the doubleheader with a 5-4 win in game two.
How it Happened
- After Greensboro got a run in the top half of the first inning RC jumped on top 2-1 in its first at bat, getting runs on an RBI groundout by Ruthie Williams and when Smith scored on a wild pitch.
- GC went 4-2 in the top of the second following an RBI single by Crisco and a two RBI double Rumley.
- In the RC fifth inning, Taylor Carter reached on a bunt single then advanced to second on a stolen base, moved to third on a sacrifice bunt and scored a squeeze bunt by Smith.
- Roanoke loaded the bases later in the inning and Taylor Sutherland delivered an RBI single to tie the game at 4-4.
- Greensboro got the eventual game-winning run in the next half inning when it took advantage of two Roanoke errors to push across a run.
- Maddy Wetherholt got the win for Greensboro, tossing a complete game, giving up two earned runs and striking out four. Taylor Asimakopoulos was saddled with the loss after going two innings in relief.
Up Next: Roanoke will be back in action when it travels to Christopher Newport on Sunday for a doubleheader starting at 1:00 p.m.