Score: Roanoke 2, Virginia Wesleyan 0
Records: Roanoke 6-4-1, 1-1-0 ODAC | Virginia Wesleyan 6-4-0, 1-1-0 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke topped Virginia Wesleyan 2-0 in ODAC Men's Soccer action Saturday night in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Roanoke struck quickly, getting a goal at the 5:23 mark of the first-half when David Kuttner was able to rip a shot past VWU keeper Nick Peterson from just inside the box and give RC a 1-0 lead.
- VWU had an opportunity to tie the match in the 41st minute but Michiah Brown's shot hit the post and the Maroons remained in the lead.
- The Maroons had a chance to add to their lead with 27 minutes to go in the match but Brandon Bauer's shot was denied by a sprawling save from Peterson.
- RC had another chance to double its lead when following a handball just outside the box, Jon-Cody Mactutus' free-kick rang off the cross-bar and stayed out of the net.
- Roanoke scored in the 81st minute when Aidan Nagy sent a perfect pass to Marshall Hodge streaking down the sideline. Hodge then chipped a shot over the head of Peterson for a goal.
- RC held a 16-6 edge in shots, including 11-5 in the second-half of play.
- Peterson made seven saves for VWU, while Nick Tadros only had to make one save to earn the shutout.
Up Next: Roanoke will travel to Guilford on Wednesday for a 7:00 p.m. ODAC match.