Score: No. 19 Roanoke 20, Birmingham Southern 8
Records: Roanoke 1-0 | Birmingham Southern 1-2
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke scored 12 unanswered goals to start the game as the Maroons coasted to a 20-8 win over Birmingham Southern Wednesday afternoon in Salem.
How it Happened
- Jason Sarro led the Maroons with seven points in his first collegiate game as he scored four goals and added three assists. Peter Lindley scored four goals and added an assist, while Brendan Devane had three goals and IV Stucker added two goals and an assist.
- Devane got RC on the board just under three minutes into the first quarter in what would prove to be seven goals in the first 15 minutes for the Maroons, the last of which coming off the stick of Lindley on an assist by Stucker.
- Sarro and Lindley scored a pair of goals in a 21 second span to put the Maroons up 9-0 with 10:29 to go in the half.
- Stucker scored with 6:14 on the clock to make it 10-0, then Devane and Lindley scored eight seconds apart to put RC up 12-0.
- RC led 13-1 at the half before BSC scored the first three goals to start the second-half to make it 13-4. The Maroons responded with three starlight goals with a Cameron Linsley man-up goal making it a 16-4 game late in the third quarter.
- Roanoke outshot BSC 73-32 and held a 62-28 advantage in groundballs. RC also won 25-of-31 face-offs. Reid Kaminski was 8-for-8 on face-offs, while Chad Fisher recorded 11 groundballs.
- Ian Davies started in the cage for RC and made four first-half saves before giving way to Burke McManus and Connor Poss in the second-half.
Up Next: No.19 Roanoke will host No.14 Denison at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday.