Score: Roanoke 79, Wesley 76
Records: Roanoke 7-3 | Wesley 3-6
Location: Salem, Va. | Cregger Invitational
The Lead: Roanoke won the 2017 Cregger Invitational with a 79-76 win over Wesley Sunday afternoon in Salem.
How it Happened
- Joey Miller led Roanoke with 19 points. All-Invitational selection Caleb Jordan had 13 points, C.J. Miles had 12 and the Cregger Invitational Most Outstanding Player Josh Freund chipped in with 10 points of his own.
- All-Invitational honoree Mychal Stefanides had 32 points on the strength of eight three-pointers. Paul Clemons had 14 points to go along with 10 rebounds and All-Invitational team member Brian Cameron had 12 points.
- With the score tied 13-13 Roanoke went on a 15-5 run that was capped by a Joe Mikalauskas three-pointer that opened up a 28-18 lead for RC with 7:46 to play in the first-half.
- Wesley came right back with 14 unanswered points, taking a 32-28 advantage following a pair of free-throws from Stefanides.
- RC would take a 39-38 advantage into the locker room at intermission thanks to a Logan Vosburg three-pointer with 19 seconds on the clock.
- The second-half was a see-saw affair that featured five ties and 10 lead changes.
- Roanoke led 72-70 when Freund made a basket with just under two minutes remaining in regulation.
- Stefanides connected on a three-pointer on the ensuing Wesley possession to put the Wolverines up one.
- Jordan then responded with a bucket to give RC the lead back and following a defensive stop, Miles drilled a three-pointer to make it 77-73.
- Cameron made a three-pointer for Wesley with five seconds to go before Eli Sumpter made two free-throws to extend the RC advantage to three with 3.4 seconds to go.
- Wesley got a good look at a three-pointer as time expired but Evan Anderson's attempt went in and out, securing the RC win.
Up Next: Roanoke is off for the holidays before returning to action on Dec. 29 when it faces Oneonta at the Tournament of Heroes in Staten Island, N.Y.