Score: Roanoke 69, Goucher 51
Records: Roanoke 6-3 | Goucher 0-8
Location: Salem, Va. | Cregger Invitational
The Lead: Josh Freund led four Maroons in double-figures with 16 points as Roanoke topped Goucher 69-51 Saturday afternoon in the first day of the Cregger Invitational.
How it Happened
- In addition to Freund, Caleb Jordan had 12 points, Colton Reed came off the bench to score 11 and C.J. Miles chipped in with 10. Roanoke held a 44-31 edge on the glass, led by Jordan and Freund who had nine and eight rebounds, respectively. Jordan also dished out seven assists in the win.
- Goucher had just five players register points during the game led by Elliott Wiley who came off the bench to score 20. Gabe Ceribelli scored 12 in the loss for the Gophers.
- RC shot 43.1% for the game, making 25-of-58 shots on the afternoon, while Goucher was 20-of-60 (33.3%) on the day.
- The Gophers led 13-12 following a three-pointer by Wiley with 10:28 left in the first half. A Reed three-pointer sparked a 13-2 run by the Maroons that was capped by Freund bucket that made the score 26-15 with just under four minutes to play.
- The Maroons led 30-22 at the intermission and opened the second-half with another 13-2 run which grew the RC lead to 43-25 with 14:42 to play in the game.
- Roanoke maintained a double-digit lead throughout the second half and went up by as much as 21 points when a Joey Miller layup made the score 68-47 with 3:35 left on the clock.
Up Next: Roanoke will play in the championship game of the Cregger Invitational at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday versus Wesley. Wesley defeated Hood 105-94 in game two on Saturday.