Score: No. 2 Lynchburg 7, No. 3 Roanoke 1
Records: Roanoke 14-5 | Lynchburg 16-3
Location: Lexington, Va.
The Lead: A three goal spurt in a five-minute span during the first-half sent No. 2 Lynchburg to a 7-1 win over No. 3 Roanoke on Friday night in the semifinals of the 2017 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Field Hockey Tournament.
How it Happened
- LC got on the board 7:16 into the game when Kayla Coperman collected a deflected pass in front of the cage and was able to knock the ball in to give the Hornets a 1-0 lead.
- RC tied the game at the 13:31 mark when Lauren Heffron corralled a loose ball in front of the cage and beat LC keeper Laurel Nicks to even the contest at 1-1.
- Nikki Simpao converted a penalty stroke less than a minute later to spark a three-goal run that was capped by another Simpao strike that put the Hornets up 4-1 with 19:24 on the clock in the first.
- Emma Clark made 10 saves for RC, while Nicks finished with four stops.
- Lynchburg outshot Roanoke 23-11, while the Maroons held a 9-2 edge in penalty corners.
- Roanoke caps the year with its most wins since the 2002 season and its 14 victories ties for the second most in school history. The Maroons were making their first appearance in the ODAC Semifinals since 2004.