Score: Southern Virginia 3 | No. 16 Roanoke 2
Records: Roanoke 4-3 | Southern Virginia 6-3
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: No. 16 Roanoke fell 3-2 to Southern Virginia in out of conference baseball action Tuesday night.
How it Happened:
- Southern Virginia took an early 1-0 lead off a two-out RBI single from Brady Lamb in the top of the second inning.
- In the following inning, SVU extended its advantage to 2-0 as Caleb Layden hit a triple before Cole Critchfield drove him in with an infield single. The Knights added another run in the fifth off a pair of singles from Lamb and Layden.
- Jack Howard got the Maroons on the board with a solo home run over the left field wall in the bottom of the sixth to make it a 3-1 game.
- RC kept the inning going as Will Salva reached on an error and Gavin Kandrick was hit by a pitch. A Cody Shell single advanced Salva to third before he scored on a wild pitch to make it 3-2.
- Kevin Ledford struck out the side in the top of the ninth to hold it to a one-run game, giving Roanoke a chance to take the game in the bottom of the ninth. Roanoke was unable to push a run across as Seth Burris recorded the final two outs.
- Michael Stirling earned the win (1-0) allowing no runs and no hits in one inning of work while Burris got the save. Connor Chiulli (0-1) was tabbed with the loss giving up four hits and two runs in three innings.
- Howard led the Maroons going 2-for-5 with a homer and Sean Guida went 1-for-3 with a triple.
- Layden went 3-for-4 for SVU and Lamb went 2-for-3, each with an RBI.
Up Next: Roanoke faces Muhlenburg in a weekend series March 3-4 starting with a doubleheader at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday which is scheduled to be played on the campus of Virginia Tech. On Sunday, the Maroons will close out the series with Muhlenberg at 12 p.m. in Salem at Kiwanis Field.