Score: Roanoke 14, Averett 2
Records: Roanoke 2-1 | Averett 1-6
Location: Danville, Va.
The Lead: No. 17 Roanoke College used a nine-run fourth inning on its way to a 14-2 win over Averett on Tuesday afternoon.
How it Happened
- Averett got on the board first in the bottom of the first inning when Kyle Vidano singled to lead off the inning, moved to second on a groundout then onto third base on a fly out. A Cody Jones two-out single plated Vidano and gave AU the early 1-0 lead.
- After the first two batters were retired in the RC fourth inning, Dean Hermanson got things going by being hit by a pitch then moving to second on a wild pitch. Cale Agee then singled to bring Hermanson home to tie the game at 1-1. Agee would then score two batters later when Cody Shell singled through the left side to make it a 2-1 game.
- RC then took advantage of an Averett error that allowed Shell and Gavin Kandrick to score and push the Maroon advantage to 4-1.
- Later in the inning, the bases were loaded for Robbie Edwards who connected for a grand slam to score Sean Guida, Sam Watson, and Scott Ellis to put the Maroons in front 8-1.
- Will Merriken then followed with a solo home run of his own to make it a 9-1 ball game.
- RC tacked on a pair of runs the following inning thanks to RBI sacrifice flies off the bats of Ellis and Watson to push the Maroon lead to 11-1.
- Roanoke loaded the bases in the eighth inning and scored three more times to go up 14-1.
- Seven different RC pitchers combined to allow just two runs and eight hits, none of which were for extra bases, while striking out a combined eight batters. Fletcher Mazzola (1-0) was credited with the win for the Maroons after tossing two innings of relief where he gave up one hit and struck out two.
Up Next: Roanoke's next scheduled game is Saturday when the Maroons welcome Dickinson for a doubleheader starting at Noon.